Friday 24 May 2013

Ready to try supine?

First let me say that I'm not a super authority on supine, but then again I don't know anyone who is.  I've been flying supine for 18 months.  I fly a topless glider (Airborne REV) and I've only ever flown it supine.  I've got a couple of thousand hours in HG and about 500 in PG.  I've also flown trikes.

Please post your questions to me here:
jerryf1956@yahoo.com

I'll try to answer them here on this blog.


  1. Best harness?

    In my opinion, it is the Advance Lightness with the inner foam removed.  There are probably some more aerodynamic harnesses such as Gin Genie Race 2 which I've used, but they are heavier and don't hold their shape with the back protection removed.  There is also the slight issue with the harness catching on the back wires.
  2. What else do you need?

    You'll need extension handles if you intend to use a harness where you lay fully back.  If you use a seated paragliding harness you are only semi-supine and may not need the handles.  I love the handles as they make landing a cinch.

    I've built over 15 handles from a range of materials including lightweight steel, plastic pool furniture tubing, electrical conduit, and various alloys.  Currently I use double sleeved lightweight aluminium alloy.  The handles are tailor made to suit my REV.  They are attached with reinforced velcro and a single pin.

    It took multiple attempts until I was satisfied that my handles are super light, strong and rigid.  They attach quickly and don't move about in the air.  I can pick the glider up with them if need be.  I use a plumber's pipe bender to shape them and tennis racket grips to make them warm and comfortable.  Making a good set of handles and fitting them to your glider will be the single most time consuming job you'll face.  Good luck!!  Please don't ask me to make you a set.

    You'll also need a spreader bar.  At first I made my own and even designed it so I could raise and lower my height in flight.  This isn't necessary.  I use a spreader bar made by finsterwalder-charly which you can see here:

    http://finsterwalder-charly.de/finster/html_eng/gurtzeuge/hg_supineintegral.php

    If you want to order it, send them an email.

    Here is another one: http://www.avianonline.co.uk/spreader-pr-1882.html

No comments:

Post a Comment