Friday 24 May 2013

Why fly supine?



I've been flying hang gliders for over 30 years.  I'm addicted.  I don't do drugs, never have, but I can't image that getting high on drugs comes anywhere near as wonderful as getting naturally high in a hang glider.  It's a rush.

Hang gliding began with people flying in a seated harnesses.  They soon switched to a "Superman" view in prone.  I flew that way all my life until age caught up with me and it started to become painful to fly that way.

Five years ago I decided to give paragliding a go.  Great fun, easy and comfortable.  After a few years I decided it was simply too risky to keep flying that way and I considered returning to hang gliding but what was I to do about the comfort?

For hang gliding purists I was about to commit sacrilege and combine the best of PG with the best of HG.  I was prepared to sacrifice a little performance for a lot of comfort.  How comfortable?  Well, it's the fly all day comfort that all PG's do and only the elite HG's are fit enough to do.

99% of my flying is for fun.  1% for competition (fun too).  I may not be as competitive in a supine harness but I can fly every day and never really tire or get sore.  Flying a hang glider is supine is first class comfort.  I can't think of any other good reason to do it.




1 comment:

  1. Hello Jerry.
    You forgot to tell us where to buy a spreader bar.

    ReplyDelete