Friday 24 May 2013

How to fly supine.

Flying in supine feels very much like flying in a trike.  It definitely feels different to flying prone but the actual conversion process is fairly natural.  I'd suggest doing it with a floater first and then try it in a more advanced glider.

Launching and landing is in a natural hang position and feels identical to a prone harness.  You hang a little lower so you have more roll authority and it makes landing easier.

Launching:

I like to start with my shoulders behind my risers and the spreader bar behind my head.  The launch run is identical to any other.  If you can launch well in prone you'll do well in supine.  Once in the air, its only a matter of hooking your heel into the harness and then sliding into it.  That takes some practice but it's a lot easier doing it on a hang glider than on a paraglider.  There are no zips to do up.

Flying:

Easy.  It feels very coordinated.  Maybe this is a feature of the REV but I don't need to high-side when thermalling or if I do, I'm totally unaware of it.  If anything, I have to concentrate on flying slower in light lift.  Again, it gets better with practice.  I tend to sit up more in my harness when thermalling.  It feels better.

On glide I'll lay right back unless the air is rough, in which case, I'll be forward.

The VG works normally.  The base bar does move back towards you (or you move towards it) as you pull on the VG.  At full VG I can fly with my hands on the base bar or lean right back and use the handles.

Landing:

There are no zips to undo.  If there is plenty of wind then you can land in supine and rotate out of the harness at the last second to land on your feet without much need to flare.

Otherwise I prefer to get my shoulders in front of my risers so that I can initiate a full flare using the handles.  I prefer to get into hang early and use one hand up, one down so I can accelerate to the ground.  Once I'm in ground effect I drag my feet to establish a constant and suitable height off the ground.  I try to maintain this height while feeding the bar slowly out and moving both hands to the handles ready to flare.  My cue to flare is when both hands are back on the handles around my waist and then I simply raise them up to achieve a very full flare.

Landings


No comments:

Post a Comment